Monday, September 24, 2012

some more jam




So first we had to go pick the grapes. We are so blessed because these were free from my grandma's yard. Then the kids picked over every single grape to eliminate all the wormy ones. Then we squeezed every grape to separate the skins from the pulp. This is the most fun stage but after a gazillion or so it loses some of its charm. I then ran the skins in my food processor to chop it up fine and then boiled them for twenty minutes. I boiled the pulp (guts or eyeballs) until they release their seeds..ten to fifteen minutes. Through a food mill the pulp goes and all the seeds are left behind. Into the pan with the pulp, add sugar and juice of a lemon and boil for thirty to forty more minutes.
My first batch I didn't boil long enough so it is a little soft to runny. The next two batches came out perfect. I started this project at 11:00 a.m. and wearily wiped my last counter at 6:00 p.m. Very time consuming but worth the effort.

This is the pulp and skins separated.

Here you can see the jam turning a darker color. Almost done at this point.
Sent some of the jam over to my mom and grandma this morning to see if it passes inspection. The verdict was awesome! My grandmother is super picky and isn't afraid to let you know what she thinks either. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you.